Breaking Local News

Greenville school threat developed from rumors, later determined unsubstantiated

Greenville school threat developed from rumors, later determined unsubstantiated

GREENVILLE — Final week, within the span of an hour, this group was capable of breathe a collective sigh of aid as a possible school threat was investigated and deemed not credible.

A threat at Greenville Center School final week was dealt with within the span of an hour by regulation enforcement and deemed unsubstantiated after a police investigation of two college students discovered that rumors unfold by different college students on the school had developed right into a false threat of a school capturing. — DN Photograph | Cory Smith

Following the actions of the Greenville Division of Public Security (GDPS) and Greenville Public Faculties, officers are defending and supporting the choices made that day.

“There’s never a perfect gameplay, the outcome will never be perfect, because we’re all just mortal human beings trying to do the best with what we can,” GDPS Director Dennis Magirl stated. “We can always do things differently, but we’re always trying to do the right thing to protect the school, students and community for any threat that comes about. In this case on Thursday, from a law-enforcement perspective, it was a win-win, because no one was hurt.”


Report of a threat

At 6:13 a.m. Nov. 29, the GDPS acquired info from Montcalm County Central Dispatch that a involved mom of a scholar at Greenville Center School had woken up and located a textual content message from her daughter saying a threat from one other scholar to “shoot up the middle school” had been issued the night time earlier than.

Based mostly on that info, through which the division had solely the primary identify of a scholar to work with, the GDPS contacted Superintendent Linda Van Houten, alerting her of the state of affairs.

Based on Van Houten, solely two college students at Greenville Center had the primary identify that was given to regulation enforcement. Van Houten stated one of many college students had been suspended the week earlier than for making threats to a different scholar, so officers have been despatched to that scholar’s residence to start questioning.


A second identify

About 10 minutes after Van Houten spoke with police, she acquired an e-mail from one other involved mum or dad who talked about the identical threat to “shoot up the middle school.” Nevertheless, this e-mail contained each a primary identify and final identify of a scholar.

“That mom was responding to her daughter hearing rumors on social media that someone was going to shoot up the school,” Van Houten stated.

Van Houten relayed the brand new info of the final identify to the police, who then suggested her to have college students be escorted to the excessive school as an alternative of the center school till the school might be determined protected.

“You can’t take the risk of dropping kids off at a home without anybody being there for them, that’s a safety issue,” Van Houten stated. “And we felt we could keep the kids safer on school property with staff in place. Teachers greeted the kids at the high school, got them into the gym, and had activities for them to do.”

In response to Magirl, the precedence was to determine and find each college students to be able to make sure the school could possibly be protected for re-entry.

“If we isolate the two people that we have information on, then we’ve taken them away from what the threat is. You render the scene safe,” Magirl stated. “With the information we had, we had two students with the same first name, same age, same school … we had to isolate those students first, and then work to solve if there was a credible threat.”

Using the school’s database, it was determined the second scholar was on a bus heading to the school. The bus driver was ordered by the school district to return to a cease on Yellow Jacket Drive, previous to arriving on the drop-off space for college kids on the center school, when police arrived on scene.

“Our officers responded to that location, entered the bus, unarmed, no weapons out, no lights or sirens, calming down the kids that they talked to while finding and identifying this student with the name we were given,” Magirl stated. “So we got him and told him he needs to come with us, we needed to talk with him. He was escorted off the bus. Our officers were at no time alarming, threatening, demanding, tactical or had any weapons out … they kept it very social and were very friendly to the students. It was a very ‘soft contact,’ as we call it.”

From there, the scholar was taken to the police division at Greenville Metropolis Corridor and officers waited for the boy’s mom to reach earlier than any questioning occurred.

“Parents have to be present when we are dealing with a minor, especially with something of this magnitude, especially during the questioning of it,” Magirl stated. “We went and got him breakfast, and he finished homework as we waited for his mom to get there from Grand Rapids.”


Threat ‘unsubstantiated’

In interviewing each college students, it was determined the threat was “unsubstantiated.”

Based on Magirl, threats that the suspended scholar had made the earlier week to different college students on the school started to recirculate between college students on social media and escalated when a gaggle of three to 4 college students have been talking to one another whereas enjoying video games collectively on-line the earlier night of Nov. 28.

“This new threat generated from older threats that were investigated earlier by the Montcalm County Sheriff’s Office,” Magirl stated. “With the students being able to talk back and forth, this conversation was brought up again, that’s where the information we received came from.”

As soon as the state of affairs was deemed protected, regulation enforcement gave the “all-clear” to school officers and allowed college students to return to the center school to start out the school day.

“From a law-enforcement perspective, from time of complaint to time of disposition, it was right or less than an hour, by 7:15 a.m., school was back to normal,” Magirl stated.


Rumors result in threats

By the point college students have been allowed to re-enter the constructing, Van Houten stated it had been determined that neither scholar had ever made a bodily threat to “shoot up the middle school.”

“Neither of the students made a threat, it was rumor of a threat. There was no evidence of actual screenshot, no posting on Facebook, there was nothing, it was all a rumor,” she stated. “It’s unfortunate that we had to talk to that other student (on the bus), but I had an email from a parent with that student’s first and last name.”

Van Houten stated she was obligated to pursue each lead she acquired, and supply that info to police, given the character of restricted info coming in with college students already on their solution to school.

“Would I not follow up on that potential lead from that parent? No, I can’t not follow up on it. What I responded to was a concrete name and specific threat. We had to follow up on that,” she stated. “We were first and foremost trying to keep kids safe. We did everything we could to keep all kids safe.”

Van Houten stated by 10 a.m., she had personally adopted up with the mom of the scholar who had been eliminated from the bus to elucidate the state of affairs.

“We did also communicate to all of the students before the end of the school day that the student on the bus did not have anything to do with the threat,” Van Houten stated. “We also offered the mother support in any way she needed, such as alternative transportation for her kids the next day and any additional supervision. I asked her if she could think of anything else we could do to make sure he felt safe and comfortable.”

In response to Van Houten, the scholar and his sister haven’t been in attendance at school because the incident occurred.


No good answer

Magirl believes his officers carried out as they need to, particularly given the restricted info that they had.

“The greatest fear that we ever have is a shooting in a school building,” he stated. “I can’t think of anything more tragic to happen to a community than that. So we train for it … sometimes things just have to go very, very fast, and there’s just not time to be as transparent as some people may want us to be in the moment.”

Magirl stated after a number of threats occurred final yr, one during which school was closed for a day in consequence, a particular assembly was referred to as to assist develop a extra concrete plan with school directors over the summer time.

“We reached out to Linda this summer, as we needed to sit down and discuss how we are going to do this,” he stated. “She provided me names and numbers to all of the school administration staff. So we had a working plan, and that plan was executed on Thursday. The communication was there, the software was there to find names, and it helped our investigation.”

In line with Van Houten, one change will happen because of Thursday’s occasions, after an “error in judgment” was made on behalf of an administrative assistant.

That school worker marked the sister of the scholar who had been eliminated from the bus absent for various courses, with the reasoning stating “brother threatened to shoot up school.”

“That was inappropriate, that’s a mistake we made. As soon as the mother brought it to our attention, it was deleted immediately,” Van Houten stated. “That was the only thing that went wrong. The sister was in the building, students were asking the sister questions, she was upset, and she decided she wanted to go home. One of our administrative assistants posted that in the attendance log — which is password protected and under security.”

Van Houten believes issues might have been dealt with in a different way had the alleged threats been delivered to her consideration the night time earlier than once they first started to flow into.

“In hindsight, there seems to be many people that knew about this rumor the night before,” she stated. “I encourage anyone, day or night, to call 911, OK2SAY, central dispatch or the police station. If we had known the night before, obviously we could have taken care of the situation differently.”


About the author